Dorothy Hearne

Photo:Dorothy on her grandfather's shoulders outside the old Rectory on Main Street; he was Archdeacon at the time in Ballinrobe and father of Marion, Dorothy's mother.

Dorothy on her grandfather's shoulders outside the old Rectory on Main Street; he was Archdeacon at the time in Ballinrobe and father of Marion, Dorothy's mother.

Mayo CC Library

Photo:A Silhouette which hung in Dorothy's home of her Grandparents Andersons painted by Charles Robertson

A Silhouette which hung in Dorothy's home of her Grandparents Andersons painted by Charles Robertson

MCC Library

Dorothy instrumental in our library moving to the Church of Ireland

By Mary Farragher

Daughter of Robert and Marion Hearne, Dorothy was born at Killoshine, Ballinrobe in November 1912 at the single-storey thatched farmhouse on the Kilmaine Road reconstructed by John C. Hearne (1814-99), Clerk of Petty Sessions and one-time Land Agent for Captain Harvey de Montmorency. There is also a historical connection with this house to Robert Ernest Hearne (1863-1942), Clerk of Petty Sessions, Commissioner for Oaths and Land Agent.

Dorothy was schooled at home before attending Bedford High School in London where she won a scholarship to secretarial school. Dorothy returned from England in the 50’s to take care of her ailing mother. She applied for the newly introduced Board Failte grant before opening her home to paying guests from 1965 to the 80’s. She also taught many local children French to supplement her income.

Dorothy was an avid reader and on discovering Mayo County Council were looking for new premises for a library in 1995  she contacted the County Manager. Dorothy had first received agreement from the Church of Ireland to offer their local church to the council provided they maintained the upkeep of same. MCC leased the building in the early 1990's and renovated it to suit the layout of a Library. 

It opened in 1996 where members of the local community have enjoyed borrowing books and DVDs; it has adult, child and local history sections with computer and photocopying facilities also.

Dorothy continued to use the library facilities and died peacefully at her home with a book on her lap. She was interested in a variety of subjects all her life and enjoyed many visits from neighbours and friends. Her constant companions were her two brown poodle dogs which she brought everywhere with her and always kept a bar of Bourneville dark chocolate from which she gave them a treat now and again.

Dorothy had donated her body to medical science and a plaque to her memory is located at the Library.  

 

 

 

 

 

This page was added by Averil Staunton on 19/08/2019.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.